HistoryThis section has been translated automatically.
DefinitionThis section has been translated automatically.
Heterogeneous group of diseases whose common feature is the extracellular deposition of a "waste protein", the amyloid, which cannot be utilized by the organism.
You might also be interested in
ClassificationThis section has been translated automatically.
A distinction is made between cutaneous and systemic amyloidoses. In systemic amyloidoses, a distinction is also made between primary and secondary (concomitant) amyloidoses, and between acquired and hereditary amyloidoses (see also amyloidosis, systemic):
- Localized primarily cutaneous amyloidosis (symptoms at the site of synthesis):
- Systemic amyloidoses (rare, only minor dermatological relevance):
- Amyloidosis, hereditary (very rare, no dermatological relevance)
- Amyloidosis, acquired
LiteratureThis section has been translated automatically.
- Breathnach SM (1988) Amyloid and amyloidosis. J Am Acad Dermatol 18: 1-16
- Cohen AS, Jones LA (1993) Advances in Amyloidosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 5: 62-76
- Dubrey S et al (2014) The transthyretin amyloidoses: advances in therapy. Postgraduate Med J doi: 10.1136/postgradmedj-2014-133224.
- Hung CC et al (2003) Unusual skin manifestation of cutaneous amyloidosis. Dermatology 207: 65-67
- Lubarsch O (1899) Hyaline and amyloid degeneration. Erg allg Path 4: 449-460
- Moon AO et al (2003) Nodular amyloidosis: review and long-term f-up of 16 cases. Arch Dermatol 139: 1157-1159
- Santos-Juanes J et al (2004) Nodular primary localized cutaneous amyloidosis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 18: 224-226
- Virchow R (1854) On the course of amyloid degeneration. Virch Arch 8: 364-368
- Woollons A et al (2001) Nodular localized primary cutaneous amyloidosis: a long-term follow-up study. Br J Dermatol 145: 105-109
Incoming links (21)Aa-type amyloidosis; Addison's disease; Amyloid; Amyloid-a; Amyloidosis of the ah type; Chaperones; Colloidalmilium; Conformational diseases; Cutis verticis gyrata; Dermatitis-arthritis syndromes; ... Show all
Outgoing links (13)Aa-type amyloidosis; Al amyloidosis skin changes; Amyloid; Amyloidosis biphasic; Amyloidosis cutaneous nodular; Amyloidosis cutaneous special forms; Amyloidosis hereditary; Amyloidosis macular cutaneous; Amyloidosis systemic (overview); Cutaneous amyloidosis (overview); ... Show all
Please ask your physician for a reliable diagnosis. This website is only meant as a reference.