Spectrum of actionThis section has been translated automatically.
Ingredients of Frcutus agni casti: bicyclic diterpenes (e.g. rotundifuran), iridoid glycosides (agnuside, aucubin), lipophilic flavonols, hydrophilic flavones e.g. casticin (see below flavonoids), triglycerides, essential oils (with cineol and pinenes), sesquiterpenes.
Effects: Reduction of basal and stimulated prolactin secretion in cell cultures, dose-dependent antagonisation of haloperidol, binding to the D2-dopamine receptors of lactotropic cells, inhibition of prolactin secretion
IndicationThis section has been translated automatically.
hyperprolactinaemia (E22.1.), premenstrual syndrome (N94.3), mastodynia (N64.5)
You might also be interested in
Undesirable effectsThis section has been translated automatically.
allergic reactions with angioedema and urtiacardial exanthema, headache, dizziness, psychosomatic agitation (rare), hallucinations (rare), confusion (rare)
PreparationsThis section has been translated automatically.
Agnolyt® solution or capsules, Agno-Sabona® capsules, Agnucaston® film tablets or solution, Biofem® film tablets, Castufemin® solution, Cefanorm® capsules or solution, Femicur N® capsules, Feminon A® capsules, Sarai® capsules.
Dosage: 2 to 4 mg dry extract (see leaflet)
Note(s)This section has been translated automatically.
If a feeling of tension or swelling in the breasts or disturbances in menstrual bleeding should occur, an exact diagnostic clarification is recommended.
LiteratureThis section has been translated automatically.
- Carmichael AR (2008) Can Vitex Agnus Castus be Used for the Treatment of Mastalgia? What is the Current Evidence? Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 5:247-250.
- Halaska M et al (1998) Treatment of cyclical mastodynia using an extract of Vitex agnus castus: results of a double-blind comparison with a placebo. Ceska Gynekol 63:388-392.
- Loew D (2012) in Beer A M et al [Ed.] Leitfaden Naturheilverfahren für die ärztliche Praxis, Urban und Fischer Verlag S 185.
- Šošić-Jurjević B et al. (2016) Functional morphology of pituitary -thyroid and -adrenocortical axes in middle-aged male rats treated with Vitex agnus castus essential oil. Acta Histochem doi: 10.1016/j.acthis.2016.07.007.
- Tamagno G (2009) Are changes of prolactin levels the effectors of vitex agnus castus beneficial effects on the pre-menstrual syndrome? Maturitas 63:369.
- Tamagno G et al (2007) Vitex agnus castus might enrich the pharmacological armamentarium for medical treatment of prolactinoma. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 135:139-140.
- YE Q et al (2010) Casticin, a flavonoid isolated from Vitex rotundifolia, inhibits prolactin release in vivo and in vitro. Acta Pharmacol Sin 31:1564-1568.