HistoryThis section has been translated automatically.
Lauren Vedder Ackerman, 1948
DefinitionThis section has been translated automatically.
You might also be interested in
ClassificationThis section has been translated automatically.
The following clinical pictures are considered to be variants of carcinoma verrucosum, differing in their localization but showing a comparable histological pattern and biological growth behavior:
- Papillomatosis cutis carcinoides (= carcinoma verrucosum of the skin).
- Florid oral papillomatosis (= carcinoma verrucosum of the oral cavity)
- Condylomata gigantea (= carcinoma verrucosum of the genital region)
- Carcinoma cuniculatum (= Carcinoma verrucosum of the sole of the foot/toe)
Other localizations are also possible, but less frequent (e.g. back, face, acral finger region, lower leg on the floor of a chronic leg ulcer).
EtiopathogenesisThis section has been translated automatically.
A causation of genital manifestations by HPV 16 is discussed.
Oral manifestations are favored by previous inflammatory diseases of the oral mucosa (e.g. lichen planus mucosae) and chronic "irritants", especially:
- Chewing tobacco consumption
- betel nut chewing ( oral submucous fibrosis)
- Kath chewing (Somalia and Yemen).
In tropical countries, the occurrence in combination with schistosomiasis has often been described.
HistologyThis section has been translated automatically.
TherapyThis section has been translated automatically.
Progression/forecastThis section has been translated automatically.
Note(s)This section has been translated automatically.
LiteratureThis section has been translated automatically.
- Ackerman LV (1948) Verrucous carcinoma of oral cavity. Surgery 23: 670-678
- Heinzerling LM et al (2003) treatment of verrucous carcinoma with imiquimod and CO2 laser ablation. Dermatology 207: 119-122
- Ho J et al (2000) An ulcerating verrucous plaque on the foot. Verrucous carcinoma (epithelioma cuniculatum). Arch Dermatol 136: 547-548, 550-551
- Lu S et al (2000) Anal verrucous carcinoma and penile condylomata acuminata. Dermatology 200: 320-323
- Matoso A et al (2012) Verrucous carcinoma of the nail unit. At the JDermatopathol
- Mehta RK et al (2000) Treatment of verrucous carcinoma of vulva with acitretin. Br J Dermatol 142: 1195-1198
- Pleat J et al (2001) Cutaneous verrucous carcinoma. Br J Plast Surgery 54: 554-555
- Already MP et al (2000) Presternal verrucous carcinoma. dermatologist 51: 766-769
- Schwartz RA (1995) Verrucous carcinoma of the skin and mucosa. J Am Acad Dermatol 32: 1-21
Terada T (2011) Verrucous carcinoma of the skin: a report on 5 Japanese cases. AnnDiagn
Incoming links (15)Ackerman, lauren-vedder; Ackerman tumor; Betel nut; Betel nut; Betel nut; Carcinoma verrucosum; Catha edulis; Gigantean condyloma; Lichen simplex chronicus verrucosus; Microscopically controlled surgery; ... Show all
Outgoing links (10)Betel nut; Bilharzia; Carcinoma cuniculatum; Catha edulis; Fibrosis oral submucous; Gigantean condyloma; Lichen planus mucosae; Papillomatosis cutis carcinoides; Papillomatosis floride oral; Squamous cell carcinoma of the skin;
Please ask your physician for a reliable diagnosis. This website is only meant as a reference.