DefinitionThis section has been translated automatically.
Clinical rule for assessing the dignity of pigmented skin lesions or melanocytic nevi according to the following criteria:
- A = Asymmetry (unequal halves on both sides of an imaginary midline)
- B = Border irregularity (irregular border)
- C = Color variation, especially occurrence of black, gray, red tones, fading of individual parts (most important criterion)
- D = Diameter: more than 5 mm or growth in size.
If all four criteria are met, a pigmented skin lesion is highly suspicious for malignant melanoma. As a 5th parameter, exophytic growth (E = Elevation) can be included in the evaluation of the tumor.
- E = Elevation
Notice. The ABCD rule is generally accepted as a guideline for dignity criteria of melanocytic nevi. However, it often fails in nodular malignant melanoma, but especially in amelanotic tumors.
LiteratureThis section has been translated automatically.
- Chamberlain AJ et al (2003) Nodular melanoma: Patient`s perceptions of presenting features and implications for earlier detection. J Am Dermatol 48: 694-701