DefinitionThis section has been translated automatically.
Clinical rule for assessing the dignity of pigmented skin lesions or melanocytic nevi according to the following criteria:
- A = Asymmetry (unequal halves on both sides of an imaginary centre line)
- B = Border irregularity (irregular limitation)
- C = Colour variation, especially occurrence of black, grey, red tones, fading of individual components (most important criterion)
- D = Diameter (diameter): more than 5 mm or size growth
If all four criteria are met, a pigmented skin change is highly suspect of a malignant melanoma. Exophytic growth (E = elevation) can be included as the 5th parameter in the assessment of the tumour.
- E = Elevation
Remember! The ABCD rule is generally accepted as a guideline for dignity criteria of melanocytic nevi. However, it often fails in nodular malignant melanoma, but especially in amelanotic tumors.
LiteratureThis section has been translated automatically.
- Chamberlain AJ et al (2003) Nodular melanoma: Patient`s perceptions of presenting features and implications for earlier detection. J Am Dermatol 48: 694-701