DefinitionThis section has been translated automatically.
Cyclic organic silicon compounds belonging to the group of siloxanes (group of organosilicon compounds), in which silicon and oxygen are alternately bonded.
The cyclic, organic silicon compound is present as a colorless, poorly water-soluble liquid. Cyclopentasiloxanes smooth skin and hair and make them supple. The hair becomes easier to comb, smooth, soft and shiny and thus gains more volume.
Cyclopentasiloxanes, like other siloxanes, are used for these properties in creams, washing lotions, hair shampoos or other hair care products.
Trade namesThis section has been translated automatically.
Commercial preparations with cyclopentasiloxanes (excerpt from the yellow list)
- Daylong® baby SPF 30
- Daylong® kids SPF 30
- Heliocare® Gel SPF 50
- La Roche-Posay Active C eye care
- La Roche Posay ANTHELIOS 50+ Fluid Corps UVA 32 (PPD)
- La Roche-Posay ANTHELIOS SPF 20 UVA 16 (PPD) Milk Lait Veloute
- La Roche-Posay ANTHELIOS SPF 30 UVA 17 (PPD) milk
- La Roche-Posay ANTHELIOS XL 50+ UVA 33 (PPD) milk Lait Veloute
- La Roche-Posay AUTOHÉLIOS Self Tanning Gel Cream
- La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Intensive moisturizing rich
- La Roche Posay Lipicar Podologics
- La Roche-Posay Mela D hand cream against pigmentation marks
- La Roche-Posay Mela-D day care against pigmentation marks
- La Roche-Posay Nutritic 2.5% moisturising care for dry skin
- La Roche-Posay Nutritic 5% moisturising care for very dry skin
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane cream light
- La Roche-Posay Toleriane cream rich
Note(s)This section has been translated automatically.
Cyclopentasiloxane is classified as a hazardous substance like other siloxanes (e.g. octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane). Cyclopentasiloxane is a long-life chemical which accumulates in organisms. This assessment as vPvB (very persistent, very bioaccumulative) was confirmed by the Member State Committee of the European Chemicals Agency ECHA. There are proposals to legally restrict the use of both substances throughout the EU.
LiteratureThis section has been translated automatically.
- Corazza M et al (2013) Compound allergy to a lipophilic gel containing vitamin E acetate and cyclopentasiloxane. Dermatitis 24:198-199.
- Johnson W Jr et al (2011) Safety assessment of cyclomethicone, cyclotetrasiloxane, cyclopentasiloxane, cyclohexasiloxane, and cycloheptasiloxane. Int J Toxicol 30(6 Suppl):149S-227S.
- Montemayor BP et al (2013) Accounting for intended use application in characterizing the contributions of cyclopentasiloxanes (D5) to aquatic loadings following personal care product use: antiperspirants, skin care products and hair care products. Chemosphere 93:735-740.
- Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS). Electronic address: [email protected], Rousselle DC (2017) Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) - Final version of the opinion on decamethylcyclopentasiloxanes (cyclopentasiloxanes, D5) in cosmetic products. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 83:117-118.